Recent Studio Ghibli Shakeup Raises Anime Industry Concerns

1 day ago 5

Studio Ghibli confirmed a leadership change earlier this month as President and CEO Hiroyuki Fukuda prepares to step down after three years in the role. The announcement came in a May 14, 2026 statement posted on the studio’s official website.

Fukuda, 64, will leave the position on June 22 following the company’s scheduled shareholders meeting. He has led the studio since 2023, the same year Nippon Television Holdings acquired Ghibli. Fukuda also serves as President and Representative Director of Nippon Television, Japan’s largest television broadcaster.

The company named 51-year-old Kenichi Yoda as his successor. Yoda currently holds roles at both Studio Ghibli and Nippon Television Holdings. He was appointed as a Ghibli director in October 2023 and will remain in that role as he transitions into the top executive position this summer.

Yoda has played a central role in expanding Ghibli’s reach beyond film production. His work includes organizing art exhibitions, live concerts featuring music from films like Princess Mononoke, and stage adaptations tied to the studio’s catalog. These efforts reflect a broader push to turn Ghibli into a cross-platform brand with stronger event-driven revenue.

That strategy continues with a newly announced Kabuki adaptation of Princess Mononoke, set to run in Tokyo from July 3 through August 23, 2026. The production brings one of the studio’s most recognized titles into a traditional Japanese theater format that dates back more than 400 years.

Ghibli said no other leadership changes are planned and confirmed that Fukuda will remain on the company’s board of directors. In its statement, the studio pointed to closer collaboration with Nippon Television as a key goal moving forward.

“Now, with Kenichi Yoda, who handles event businesses such as concerts, exhibitions, and stage performances at Nippon Television and is the main person in charge of Studio Ghibli at the company, assuming the position of President and CEO of our company, we will explore various collaborative initiatives at a level closer to the actual production floor,” the company said. “By combining the resources of both companies, we aim to create new innovations.”

The company added that it will continue its creative work without disruption. The leadership shift comes as Ghibli remains a major force in global animation, with its films continuing to draw strong audience engagement. A 2025 study found that watching Ghibli films was linked to measurable improvements in viewer mood and overall well-being, underscoring the studio’s lasting cultural impact.

The transition also signals a deeper alignment between traditional animation and corporate media strategy, a trend that continues to reshape the global entertainment industry.

***

Read Entire Article